The traditional rice variety is the rice that is now back in the limelight. “Mappillai Samba” is one among those traditional varieties in circulation.It is well suited for organic farming because it is hard in nature and does not need the the utilization of pesticides and fertilizers.The raw samba rice is more hard than many other rice varieties and cooked rice is less fluffy which gives a fast fulfilling flavour.
Preparation time : 5 hours
Cooking Time : 25 minutes
- Mapillai Samba rice – 1 cup (100gms)
- Grated coconut – 1/4 cup
- Sugar – 1/4 cup
- Elaichi Powder – 1/8 tsp
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Water – required
- Wash and soak the rice well for 4 hours (minimum)
- Drain the water from the rice and dry the rice in a cloth for 15-20 minutes.keep it in a warm place or keep it under fan
- Take the rice from the cloth and put it in the mixie
- Grind it like sand like consistency
- keep the flour in a vessel
- Take a bowl and add the flour to it and add salt to it
- Add warm water little at the time and mix well with your finger tips. When you take a handful of flour and press it between your fist, it should hold its shape, when you press it again a little harder, it should crumble (right consistency)
- Heat a idli pan with water
- Put the flour in a cloth and fold it and steam it with 15-20 minutes in a medium flame
- Switch off the flame
- Heat a kadai, add ghee to it and add nuts and grated coconut. fry it well
- Transfer the steamed puttu to the bowl and add elaichi powder and coconut nuts mixture to it
- Add sugar/jaggery to it and mix well
- The most flavorful Mapillai samba puttu is ready
You can have it as steamed puttu with your favourite kadala curry or any sidish
- Mappillai Samba rice is a loaded source of carbohydrates.
- This rice is rich in fibre content, so it plays an important role in digestion and prevents gastrointestinal issues like constipation and gastritis.
- It has wholesome amount of micronutrients which also absorbs other nutrients.
- It is a good source of iron and Zinc and promotes hemoglobin in our body.
- It helps in reducing cholesterol and hyperglycemia level.
- This rice is rich in magnesium and vitamin B6.
You must be logged in to post a comment.