Kanchipuram idli is one of the south indian breakfast. It is the traditional prasadam offered in the Varadharaja Perumal Temple at Kancheepuram. I tasted few times in restaurant and i liked it much, So i tried that in my home. Everyone likes it. I want to share this recipe with you all.
Preparation Time : 10 minutes + ( 5 hours soaking time and 6-8 hours for fermentation)
Cooking Time : 20 minutes
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Idli Rice – 1 cup
- Urad dal – 1 cup
- Poha or Aval – 3/4 cup
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Water – as required
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Pepper – 1+1/2 tsp
- Cumin – 1+1/2 tsp
- Dry Ginger powder or Sukku podi – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida or Hing – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 spring
Wash and soak rice and urad dal with methi seeds for 5 hours(minimum) or soak it overnight.
- Grind everything separately in mixie jar by adding little water
- The mixture can be slightly coarse
- Soak the poha for 10-15 minutes and grind it to a paste
- Mix everything together and add required salt
- Heat a kadai and add ghee to it, and add pepper, cumin and curry leaves. switch off the flame and add asafoetida and dry ginger powder to it
- Add it to the batter and let it ferment for 6-8 hrs
- Steam the idlis using the batter for 15- 20 minutes and serve it with your favourite chutney or sambar
- In Traditional method, they steam it in mandharai leaves and the flavour is awesome.
- U can make idlis in idli mould or mould using tumbler
You must be logged in to post a comment.