We all know upma is the easiest of all dishes!!
But if we fall short in any one step it becomes a disaster!so let’s see the easiest steps to how we can make this easy peasy dish!
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
- Vermicelli or Semiya (plain) – 1 cup
- Onion – 1 big size (finely chopped)
- Green chilli – 1 (finely chopped)
- Ginger – 1 inch (finely chopped)
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Chana dal – 1 tsp
- Water – 1.75 cup
- Add one cup of semiya to the hot kadai and roast till it turns light brown. Dont burn it.
- Once done,convert it to a plate and let it cool.
- Take a kadai and add 2 tsp of oil to the hot kadai.
- Now add 1tsp of mustard seeds and 1 tsp of channa dhal,1 green chilli and the finely chopped ginger.
- Saute them till the raw smell of ginger goes off.
- Add finely chopped onion ,saute them well till the onion turns glassy in nature.
- Now add 1.75 cups of water into the kadai.
- wait till it boils well, then add the roasted semiya and with slight pressure mix the contents well till all of it is soaked in the watery content.
- keep it on simmer and mix the contents well
- Close it and cook for 5 minutes
- Take a strand and test it..if the semiya seems translucent and breaks easily on touch then it’s cooked.
- Serve hot with sugar or coconut chutney/ any pickle.
- Adding less water won’t allow the semiya to be cooked well.too much water will make it seem like porridge.so add 1.75 cups of water and as u stir the contents add accordingly if u feel it’s undercooked.
- This is a induction stove preparation friendly dish.so if u are at hostel ,think about making this !