Kola urundai is a fritter variety,usually made with meat .It carries the authentic taste of mixture of spices ,lentil(roasted gram) and meat.
But this recipe is for all, who can still relish the taste ,with soya chunks
Prepration time: 10 mins
Cooking time : 25 mins
- Soya chunks / Meal Maker – 1.5 cups (Medium size)
- Fried Gram/Pottu kadali – 1 small cup
- Small onions/ Shallots – 6 to 7
- Fennel seeds/ Saunf – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds/ Jeeragam – 1 tsp
- Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander and mint leaves – chopped 3 tsp
- Salt – required
- Oil – for frying
- Firstly heat some water and cook the soya chunks till they bulge in size.keep them aside till it cools down.
- Meanwhile, add 2 tbsp of oil ,then add 1 tbsp of sauf, 1 tbsp of jeera and add the roasted gram to it .
- Wait till the roasted gram turns golden brown,then add the finely chopped onions, 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste ,1 tsp chilli powder and 1 tsp garam masala.
- Sautè till the raw smell of the paste,vanishes.
- Add the mint and curry leaves and saute .
- Keep this mixture aside till it cools down.
- Now the mealmaker would have cooled down, squeeze out the water from it completely .(Note-if it remains soggy,while frying it would disperse and not maintain shape)
- Now add the chunks to the mixer and give it a pulse for 5 secs.once minced,keep them aside.
- The mixture would have cooled down by now,give it a pulse and the contents to be ground in a coarse texture.
- Mix the minced soya chunks mixture along with the mixture
- Now tightly roll them into balls and keep them aside.(make sure there are no cracks on the ball, if the mixture is watery, add few spoons of fried gram powder)
- Wait till the oil heats up,fry the balls in sim so that it cooks in and outside.(Note :frying on high flame is not recommended as the inner aspect would still remain uncooked and the outer aspect alone will be crispy.)
- Serve the balls hot with sauce or coconut chutney.