Millets are becoming popular these days because of the health benefits. We can make any kind of dish using millets from idli, dosa, pongal,upma,adai to rice varieties. Today i am going to share recipe for samai idli and dosa.
- Little millet or Samai – 2 cups
- Idli rice – 1 + 1/2 cups
- Raw rice – 1/2 cup
- Urad dal – 1 cup
- Fenugreek or Methi seeds – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Water – as required
Wash and soak the millet, rice and urad dal separately for 5 hours
- First grind the urad dal and methi seeds into a fine paste using mixie
- Then Add millets and grind them. It requires little water to grind and transfer it to bowl
- Finally add soaked rice and grind it well
- Now mix all the mixture together and add rock salt
- Rest it for fermentation. It takes 5-6 hours to ferment, the hours might vary based on the weather.
- Once it is fermented, you can idli or Dosa of your choice.
- To make idlis, slightly mix the batter and pour batter in the idli mould and cook for 10 minutes. switch it off, once cooled, scoop the idlis from the mould
- To make dosais, mix the batter well. Add little water if necessary, spread the batter in dosa tawa and make like regular dosa (cook it on both sides)
- Serve it with your favourite chutney/ sambar
- Source of fibre, anti-oxidants and aminoacids
- This millet is an excellent source of iron
- Good for Diabetic patients