Upma is an easy and quick tummy filling breakfast! Beginners can try their hands on this and feel accomplished on the journey of setting forth to cook.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time :15 mins
- Rava (semolina) – 1 cup
- Onion – 1 finely chopped
- Ginger – 1 tsp finely chopped
- Green chillies – 2 finely chopped
- Refined oil – 3 tsp
- Curry leaves – a spring
- Salt – to taste
- Water – as required
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Chana dal – 1 tsp
- Cashew nuts – optional
Before starting the cooking process,boil 1.5 cups of water in a separate vessel.(the same cup for measuring the rava)
- Take a kadai,add 3 tbsp of refined oil,and then add the 1 tbsp of mustard seeds,1 tbsp of roasted chana dhal ,finely chopped ginger ,cashew nuts(optional) and the chopped curry leaves.
- Add the finely chopped onions and green chillies, Saute them for atleast a min.
- Add the cup of rava to the kadai and saute it for 30 seconds.keep it on medium flame to avoid burning of rava.
- Notice the water boiling, will start to bubble.Now add it to the rava and content in the kadai.
- while adding the hot water, keep mixing the contents in the kadai to prevent clumps, also ensure it’s on low to medium flame.
- To ensure that you have added the right amount of water,the rava has to be soaked in water completely.
- The mixture starting bubbling, so add few drops of oil or ghee to ensure it doesn’t stick to the kadai.
- Keep mixing the contents and the rava will get cooked and fluff up slowly.
- If required,sprinkle some water if needed.
- .Serve hot ,with coconut chutney /peanut chutney.