Banana Flower balls / Fried banana flower/Vazhaipoo Kola Urundai is a tasty recipe, everyone will like it for sure. Kids also like to eat this as a starter/evening snack with ketchup and as a sidish to rice items. By using Vazhaipoo , we can make lot of dishes. I used to make poriyal, kootu, paruppu usili, vadai and kuzhambu. I will share the recipes here soon. Today i tried making kola urundai with this , it came out well . Sharing the vazhaipoo kola recipe here, do try this recipe
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Banana flower – 1/2 no (used a small one)
- Grated Coconut – 1/4 cup
- Onion – 1 (medium sized)
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Garlic – 3 pods
- Cinnamon – a small bit and clove – 1 (optional)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Fried gram or pottukadalai – 1/2 cup
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- salt – as needed
- Oil – to deep fry
- Remove the florets from banana flower
- Remove the black colored stamen from florets and keep the florets in water , add a spoon of curd to it, this will prevent the darkening of florets
- Heat a vessel with water and add banana florets to it. cook for 5 mins. Remove the banana florets and drain the water completely
- Take a mixie jar and add fried garm/pottukadalai to it and powder it well
- Keep it aside
- Again, add all the ingredients: chopped onions, ginger, garlic, coconut, salt, turmeric, chilli powder, cinnamon, clove, fennel seeds and banana florets in the mixie jar
- Grind it well. Dont add water, this is very important. wipe the sides of the jar every time you grind.
- Transfer the mixture to the bowl, add fried gram powder little by little to adjust the consistency. Fried gram powder absorbs the moisture in the vazhaipoo mixture and mix well .
- Heat oil in a kadai
- Meantime, make round balls from the mixture
- Once the oil is heated well, add the balls one by one . Keep the flame in medium, otherwise the balls are not cooked properly. keep both sides for even cooking
- Remove it from oil and serve it.
VAZHAIPOO KOLA URUNDAI
- If the batter is not thick, the balls dissolved in oil, so add enough fried gram powder and mix well
- check for spice and salt while making dough
- You can replace green chillies instead of chilli powder
- You can do pan-fry in appe or paniyaram pan ( it will take more time to cook. Add the balls in paniyaram pan and add 1 tsp of oil to each ball and cook well both sides )
You must be logged in to post a comment.