Yes rasam by itself has a lot of natural medicinal effects and it’s considered as an essential part of south indian meals.
Kollu, in english is termed as horse gram or also known as madras gram.
This is usually advised when someone in the family suffers from fever or has a cold due to its medicinal effects.
Prepration time: 10 mins
Cooking time :15 mins
Serving :2 to 3 people
- Horse gram – 5 to 6 tbsp
- Tomato – 1 medium sized (mash it well)
- Dried red chilli – 1
- Garlic cloves – 3 to 4
- Coriander and curry leaves – chopped as per desired.
- Pepper- 1 tsp
- cumin -1 tsp.
- Turmeric – a pinch
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Tamarind – lemon size (dark variety)
To Temper :
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves
- Take a kadai/pan and add the horse gram to it.saute without adding oil .roast them till smell arises.let it cool
- Add the roasted horsegram to the mixer jar.
- Add the pepper ,cumin,mashed tomato ,chopped coriander and curry leaves along with the dried red chilli.
- Give 2 pulse beats on the mixer.the contents need not be completely mashed.they can have a coarse texture.The mixer contents will be grainy and coarse.
- Now take the kadai again and heat 2 tsp of oil,add the mustard seeds(let it splutter)then add ,urad dhal and curry leaves.
- Now add the mixer jar content and saute in the oil for 30 seconds.
- let it be on medium flame till the aroma of spices arise.
- Add the tamarind extract to it and let it boil for 1 min.till you see the bubbles over the rasam.
- Serve it hot with plain white rice or it can be also consumed as it is.
A traditional and easy way to say tata to your cough and cold!!
Benefits of horse gram
It has great anti oxidant ,anti bacterial and anti fungal properties.
You must be logged in to post a comment.