Appam is one of the best south indian staple can be served as breakfast or dinner. This Recipe is made using idli rice, raw rice, urad dal and fenugreek seeds. Fenugreek seeds helps the batter to ferment well. This is my way of making appams that i learnt from my mother. This may not be the authentic way of making appam, but this is a fool-proof method. Try this recipe and let me know your comments.
Preparation Time: 12 hours
Cooking Time : 3 minutes
- Idli Rice – 2 cups
- Raw Rice – 2 cups
- Whole urad dal – 1/2 cup
- Fenugreek seeds -2 tsp
- Rock Salt – 1.5 tsp
Wash everything well except salt and soak it in water for 4 hours
- Grind it everything in wet-grinder together, but make sure it grinds smooth
- Or else gring urad dal and fenugreek seeds first and transfer it to bowl
- Grind Rice separately and mix everything together
- Add salt while grinding and mix well
- Rest the batter for 8 hours for fermentation. The batter should be thinner than Dosa batter
- Adjust the consistency by adding water
- Heat the dosa pan or appam pan.
- Dosa Pan : Grease the pan with oil, put a ladle of batter and spread gently. Appam should be thick and cover it with lid.cook for 2-3 minutes and remove it
- Appam Pan :If you are convenient in rotating the pan,then hold the two sides of the pan and rotate in a circular motion to get a thin edge.If you use oil just drizzle a few drops after u make the aapam,if you do so before then batter will not spread evenly.
- Cook covered in a medium low flame and serve hot with your favourite sidish like Simple kurma/ garlic hutney/ vegetable stew.
- Served with Coconut milk