Poha is very easy to make instant gluten free breakfast recipes like poha upma, poha pongal , sweet poha and some other recipes. I followed my mom’s white poha upma recipe ( one of my favorite lunch box recipe during my schooldays) for this and replaced it with red poha. Here is the recipe.
- Red Poha/ Sigappu Aval – 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Green chilli – 2
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Grated coconut – 4 tsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Roasted Groundnut or Cashew – 10 nos (optional)
- Curry leaves – 1 string
- Coriander leaves – to garnish
- oil – 3 tsp
- salt -to taste
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Split urad dal – 1/2 tsp
- Chana dal/Kadala Paruppu – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin/Jeera – 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida/ Hing- 1/4 tsp
- Wash the poha well (two times) to remove the husk and other dirts. check the poha after washing.
- If it is soft no need to soak it. you can cook it directly
- If it is hard, soak it in water. Poha should absorb the water. It will take 10 minutes. I used thick poha/getti aval so i soaked it in water.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add items to temper
- Add sliced onions and saute well, then add chopped ginger and green chilli to it. Saute till onions become transparent. Add roasted groundnut or cashews at this stage
- Add soaked poha and salt to it. Mix gently else poha will become mushy
- close the lid and cook it for 10-12 minutes in medium flame
- In between , check the consistency of poha . If it is not cooked well , sprinkle water. Do it consistently till poha get cooked
- Once poha is cooked well, add the lemon juice and grated coconut. Mix well. switch off the flame
- Garnish it with coriander leaves. serve hot with chutney/ sambar/sugar.
- Dont skip adding lemon juice in the recipe. It helps to absorb the iron content
- you can add carrot, peas, boiled potatoes or any veggies of your choice
- you can make it without onion too
- Red poha is made from red rice, so it is nutritious than white poha. Rich in fibre, calcium , iron,zinc and magnesium.
- Good for diabetic patients and skin problems